Sunday, September 22, 2013

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, by Philip K. Dick

Rating: 4.5/5
177 pages
1968
Publisher: Library of America
Source: Amazon.com Marketplace

Description: A final, apocalyptic, world war has killed millions, driving entire species into extinction and sending the majority of mankind off-planet. Those who remain, venerate all remaining examples of life, and owning an animal of your own is both a symbol of status and a necessity. For those who can't afford an authentic animal, companies build incredibly realistic simulacra: horses, birds, cats, sheep . . . even humans. (From Goodreads)

Alternately, the book that was the basis for the movie Blade Runner.


Review: This is a hard book for me to review. Even knowing it would be nothing like Blade Runner, this still wasn't what I was expecting.

I liked it, I'm just not really sure why I liked it.

The plot, which does, roughly, follow the same path as Blade Runner's does, raises more questions than it answers, some of them occurring to me long after I finished the book, but I really think this was intentional.

This was recommended to me as a good starting point for reading Dick's work, and on that level it definitely worked. I'm looking forward to reading the other three books in this volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment